To be the best storytellers possible, we must embark on a never-ending journey of self-discovery. We must commit ourselves to constant learning. And we must be willing to take risks to find our true creative selves. This journey will take us to the tops of mountains, the valleys below, and sometimes through deep, dark woods. We’ll encounter beautiful, lush vistas and trudge through desert wastelands. The good news is that we don’t have to take the journey alone.
This adventure is where podcasts come in handy.
Podcasts can be a treasure trove of knowledge and motivation for writers. They offer tools to help us on our journey. Podcasts provide practical advice on refining our writing techniques, constructing engaging plots, and developing unforgettable characters. They delve deep into the nuances of the publishing industry, keep us updated about market trends, and guide us through the business side of being an author.
Listening to writing-related podcasts is like joining a virtual community of fellow writers, where we can glean from like-minded individuals' experiences, triumphs, and struggles. We can draw inspiration from other writers' journeys, gain confidence from their success stories, and learn valuable lessons from their challenges.
Podcasts can also provide us with a keen understanding of contemporary literary genres and trends. They allow us to study successful novels and accomplished authors and give us a deep analysis that is often instrumental for our growth as writers. And for those who find marketing our work a daunting task, some podcasts provide expert advice on book promotion, audience engagement, and platform creation.
Writing can often be a solitary pursuit, and the mental wellness topics covered by many podcasts remind us that it's okay to seek balance, prevent burnout, and prioritize our well-being.
In this round-up, we explore the top podcasts to which every author should consider subscribing. These podcasts have been carefully curated to provide a balance of inspiration, practical advice, industry insights, and mental support.
Let’s get started.
- The #AmWriting Podcast - Join Jessica Lahey, KJ Dell'Antonia, and Sarina Bowen as they offer entertaining yet actionable advice across all genres.
- Amie Kaufman On Writing - In this podcast, bestselling author Amie Kaufman guides you through crafting stories and answers a new writing-related question each week.
- Book Riot - The Podcast - In this weekly podcast, the hosts offer fresh insights into the coolest and most relevant topics in the literary world.
- The Creative Penn Podcast For Writers - This podcast by Joanna Penn will arm you with the necessary knowledge to successfully navigate the ever-evolving publishing world.
- The Creative Writer's Toolbelt with Andrew Chamberlain - This podcast is a gateway to practical advice, creative techniques, and inspirational interviews that will revolutionize your writing process.
- Deadline City - In this podcast, two prolific authors unravel the industry's mysteries and share their unique insights into creating books.
- DIY MFA Podcast - Elevate your writing from good to great with industry insider advice from bestselling authors and master writing teachers.
- Essential Guide to Writing a Novel with James Thayer - Step into the writer's workshop with James Thayer as he navigates the art of novel crafting and offers a hands-on guide to story development, scene construction, and masterful sentence writing.
- Fated Mates Romance Novel Podcast - Join the captivating world of top-rated romance genre bestselling author Sarah MacLean, and critic Jen Prokop as they delve deep into the genre and into fighting the patriarchy, one romance novel at a time.
- Fiction Author Business School - Step into the shoes of a professional fiction author and gain confidence and insight into plot, character, and theme development.
- Fiction Writing Made Easy with Savannah Gilbo - Join Savannah Gilbo for weekly tools, tips, and strategies to navigate your writing journey, whether you’re a novice or a seasoned author.
- First Draft with Sarah Enni - Tune in for enlightening conversations with storytellers, exploring their creative processes and the professional aspects of their artistic journey.
- Grammar Girl Quick and Dirty Tips for Better Writing - Get your weekly dose of writing improvement with Grammar Girl, a five-time winner of the Best Education Podcast.
- Helping Writers Become Authors with K.M. Weiland - Let this podcast be your guide to crafting compelling characters and polished prose.
- How Do You Write with Rachael Herron - Join bestselling author Rachael Herron as she unravels the mysteries of the writing process.
- In Writing With Hattie Crisell - Dive into the studies of various writers with journalist Hattie Crisell and gain invaluable insights into their writing habits, motivations, and unique approaches.
- I Should Be Writing with Mur Lafferty - Kick your writing blocks to the curb with this motivational podcast.
- Lit Match with Abigail K. Perry - Embark on a journey to find the perfect literary agent for your writing career with the insightful and tailored advice of this podcast.
- Longform Podcast - Join Aaron Lammer, Max Linsky, and Evan Ratliff for intimate conversations with writers, journalists, and filmmakers who delve into their work routines and methodologies.
- The Manuscript Academy #MSWL - Let this podcast, which offers enlightening dialogues with agents, editors, and writers, be your compass in the publishing journey.
- Master Fiction Writing with Stuart Wakefield - Join Stuart Wakefield, a certified book coach, and accomplished writer, as he shares his deep understanding of storytelling drawn from 26 years of experience.
- The New Yorker Fiction Podcast - Enjoy insightful monthly readings and conversations with Deborah Treisman, the renowned fiction editor of the New Yorker.
- Nightvale Presents Start With This - With this podcast by Jeffrey Cranor and Joseph Fink, your creativity will be sparked while they guide you in crafting stories through engaging writing assignments.
- Novel Marketing with Thomas Umstattd Jr. - Tune into the world's longest-running book marketing podcast. Thomas Umstattd Jr. and industry experts offer insights to help you build your platform, sell more books, and make an impactful change through writing.
- NPR's Book of the Day - Dive into a compact podcast guide to the best contemporary writing, featuring authors addressing the pressing questions of our times or offering a refreshing escape.
- The Rebel Author Podcast - Ignite your inner rebel with a motivational podcast that offers industry news, tips, tricks, and tools to elevate your creative business to the next level.
- Self-Publishing Advice & Inspirations - Alliance of Independent Authors - Get your twice-weekly dose of advice and inspiration with the Self-Publishing Advice & Inspirations Podcast.
- Self-Publishing Insiders with Draft2Digital - This podcast delivers weekly interviews covering self-publishing topics to help you build and grow your author career.
- The Self Publishing Show Podcast - Join best-selling self-published author Mark Dawson and aspiring writer James Blatch as they explore the world of self-publishing, providing actionable tips drawn from Dawson's successful marketing strategies and personal experiences.
- The Sell More Books Show: Book Marketing, Digital Publishing, and Kindle News, Tools, and Advice - With hosts Jim Kukral and Bryan Cohen, this podcast offers weekly tips, strategies, and the latest news in book marketing and publishing.
- The Shit No One Tells You About Writing - Featuring Bianca Marais, Carly Watters, and CeCe Lyra, this podcast provides emerging writers with insights into the publishing industry, interviews with key figures in the book market, and critiques on query letters and opening pages.
- Six Figure Authors - Lindsay Buroker, Jo Lallo, and Andrea Pearson share their experiences and industry insights as authors from the inception of the e-reader revolution.
- So You Want to be a Writer with Valerie Khoo - Valerie Khoo, CEO of the Australian Writers’ Centre, hosts this podcast and provides practical writing techniques and insider insights into how authors break into the industry.
- SPA Girls Podcast - The SPA Girls' weekly show offers information, tips, and advice for newcomers to self-publishing and shows the positive side of the self-publishing world.
- Stark Reflections on Writing and Publishing - Join Mark Leslie Lefebvre as he explores inclusive and collaborative opportunities for writers and publishing professionals.
- Story Grid Writing Podcast - On this podcast, Shawn Coyne, a seasoned editor, and Tim Grahl, an aspiring writer, delve into the components of great storytelling.
- Story Nerd - Hosted by Valerie Francis and Melanie Hill, this show simplifies story theory for writers and analyzes storytelling principles through weekly film examples.
- Subscriptions for Authors by Ream - With this podcast, you’ll get help for authors trying to monetize their fiction and build reader communities through weekly discussions with pioneering authors.
- Tim Clare’s Death Of 1000 Cuts - This podcast provides motivational rants, writing exercises, interviews with authors, and detailed critiques of the first pages submitted by listeners to enhance writing skills and enjoyment.
- Tin House Between the Covers - Featuring in-depth interviews with today's best writers, both established and up-and-coming, this podcast aids authors in fiction, nonfiction, and even poetry.
- Wish I'd Known Then . . . For Writers with Sara Rosett and Jami Albright - Authors Jami Albright and Sara Rosett discuss the journey of self-published authors, sharing lessons and celebrating indie creativity.
- What Should I Read Next? with Anne Bogel - Anne Bogel interviews readers about their preferences and offers personalized book recommendations to help listeners find their next read.
- Write-minded Podcast - Brooke Warner and Grant Faulkner offer weekly inspiration to writers, discuss challenges, and share the latest book industry trends.
- Write Now with Sarah Werner - This podcast delivers daily encouragement and advice to writers seeking balance, with themes including books, coffee, rainy days, and more.
- The Writer Files: Writing, Productivity, Creativity, and Neuroscience - Kelton Reid studies renowned writers' habits and shares secrets of productivity and creativity to keep the words flowing.
- WriterSpark: Business, Creativity, and the Craft of Writing - Melissa Bourbon shares her journey from reader to bestselling author and provides lessons to help writers grow and succeed in the industry.
- Writer’s Routine - This podcast explores writers' daily routines and strategies to uncover their success in writing and publishing bestsellers.
- Writing Excuses - This is a fast-paced weekly podcast discussing writing techniques and the business aspects of writing.
- The Writing Life - National Centre for Writing - A podcast for writers at all stages, featuring interviews with authors discussing their writing journeys and techniques.
- Your Daily Writing Habit with ChristineInk - Christine "Ink" Whitmarsh shares expert writing secrets and aims to inspire and assist others in writing and completing transformative books.
- Your Next Draft with Alice Sudlow - Alice Sudlow guides transforming a first draft into a publication-ready book and offers weekly editing tips and strategies.
There you have it, fellow writers—Our curated list of top podcasts that every author should consider following. Each one offers its unique flavor of wisdom, inspiration, and advice to help you on your writing journey. Whether you're looking to hone your craft, get insights into the publishing industry, find marketing strategies, or simply need inspiration and community, these podcasts have you covered.
Remember, writing is a journey, not a destination, and with these podcasts, you've got some excellent companions for the ride. Happy listening and even happier writing!